Since its inception, Apple has been a consistent brand. The different iOS versions have come up with their fixes and feature that have satisfactorily contributed to an enhanced user experience. However, the computer industry leader has been much vociferous with the idea of what they wanted their users to do with their phones or other Apple devices. The strict security patches with restrictions on almost all kinds of activities that an Android user could easily enjoy has no doubt shredded the customer base of the company. However, Apple has never been reputed to compromise or allow their customer an enhanced sense of control and freedom with their device.
Moreover, such a restricted scope of modulation has always fetched a strong degree of criticism along with a constant comparison between the essential difference that a user can feel with an Android device and that of an Apple device. However, nothing could sway Apple’s clear definition of user control on the device. Although they have been selling the entire limited user experience on account of responsible behavior, the recent iOS 14 has a completely different story to tell.
Apple has taken a revolutionary step in their latest operating system update with the expansion of the scope of customization. This means that if your device has received the latest iOS 14, then certainly you will be able to customize the way your home screen looks and add to its aesthetic value.
The customization features include changing the color of the app icons, resize the app icon, resize and rename widgets from the home screen and personalize it according to your preference. However, it is important to take note here that it is not possible to rename the widgets directly. This means that the widget names have to be changed with the help of a third-party app. Moreover, the changed name will not be reflected on the home screen. Now, let us look into the different steps that can be followed for making the optimum use of the home screen customization features of iOS 14.
How to change the look of the icons on the home screen of your iPhone?
With the latest operating system update, the iOS 14 has all the new customization features that will make you fall in love with your iPhone. Follow the below-given steps to redecorate your home screen.
- Open the Shortcuts App on your iPhone.
- It is already pre-installed on your phone and does not require you to download it from the Apple store.
- Tap on the plus sign on the top right corner of the screen.
- Now, go for the option that states Add Action.
- Go to the search bar and type Open App.
- The Open App will appear, tap on it.
- Tap Choose
- Now, select the app that you would like to customize.
- You can choose any app like the Messages app.
- Find the ellipsis in the upper right corner and tap on it.
- You will find an option to give the shortcut a name of your choice.
- Next, tap on Add to Home Screen option.
- You will find another option named Home Screen Name and Icon.
- Tap on it and rename the shortcut to anything that you like.
- Now, you have to go to the iOS Safari app.
- Find a suitable image for the icon.
- After finding the image save it on your iPhone.
- Go back to the Shortcuts App and tap on the icon of the app for which you just selected a suitable image.
- Tap on the Add button.
- How to add widgets on your iPhone?
Customizations have always enhanced the experience of using an iPhone. The home screen is usually the most used virtual space on your phone. Hence, it is obvious that an organized home screen with a clear distinction between the apps based on their frequency of usage is something that all users would like.
The new iOS 14 allows just that by letting you tap on any icon on the home screen and then hold it. When you do this, a list of widgets opens up that can be installed on the home screen. Moreover, these widgets are available in different sizes.
The operating system also gives you the option to stack the widgets and then flip through the list for better accessibility. Furthermore, this means that the widgets will no more clutter your home screen as they used to. With so many new features, you can also add new widgets to the home screen by going through the following steps.
- Tap and hold on to an empty part on the home screen of your iPhone.
- This will result in you entering the Jiggle mode.
- Next, tap on the plus symbol on the top left corner of the screen.
- Slide down the screen and tap on the Widgeridoo app.
- Select the type of widget that you want to add.
- Tap on the Add Widget button.
What are the new Launcher customization features that iOS 14 comes with?
The new iOS 14 has come up with widgets that can be customized. The Launcher app that comes with the operating system lets you rotate the icons of the widget by the means of time, date, or location. You can also customize the background of the widget, different-sized icons, or widgets that have no labels for a more organized look.
When you are using Launcher, you shall be exempted from spending hours on getting the right mix of colors, widgets, and backgrounds on your iPhone. With the Launcher app, you can create a widget that consists of the heavily used apps and actions. You can also change the background of the widget and increase or decrease the size of the icon at once.
For instance, with the Launcher app, one can easily create widgets in which you just have to tap on a single icon to do multiple actions like FaceTime, call, email, or message a particular contact. You can also automate actions like playing your favorite artist or podcast, access a website, or modulate general phone controls like Bluetooth, Airplane mode, WiFi, etc. at just one tap.
Launcher adds to the fun of customizing your phone and adding to its personal experience by permitting the user to add tiny icons into the widget or by allowing them to remove the icon labels. Moreover, another unique feature about the app is that it comes with widget backgrounds that are compatible with the wallpaper of the home screen. This means that your widget background will blend with the home screen wallpaper organically. Moreover, you can also design the background with the image of your choice.
Another unique design that the Launcher widgets come with is that they can be customized according to the location of the user. For instance, if the user is going to the gym, then a relevant widget will show up on the home screen. Moreover, if the user is at work, then a completely different widget will be available with relevant apps and notes related to the work. It is worth mentioning here that the app does not charge any monthly subscription but has only a one-time fee for getting access to the different sets of presets and features.
How to change the look of your iPhone with the Widgetsmith app?
A potential way to organize the look on your home screen and resize the widget on the home screen is by making use of the Widgetsmith app. Let us look into the following steps to understand how to use it.
- Start by downloading and installing the Widgetsmith app on the iPhone.
- Go into the app.
- Select the size of the widget based on three options, which are large, medium, and small.
- Tap on the widget for customizing it.
- Here, you must know that you can change the font and the color used in the widget.
- Tap on the Save when you think that you are finished with the customization.
- Go to the home screen of the iPhone.
- Tap and press on any app on the home screen.
- Tap on Edit Home Screen.
- Go to the top-left corner and tap on the plus symbol.
- You will find the option Widgetsmith there. Tap on the icon.
- Select the preferred widget size that you would like to have on your home screen.
- Tap on Add Widget.
- You can also change the widget at any time by pressing down on the app.
- When you press down on the app the option of Edit Widget will appear.
- Tap on Edit Widget.
You will have your fully customized home screen with an aesthetic look. Enjoy the look until the next update arrives to surprise you with even newer and better feature updates.
The iOS 14 with its latest updates has gone beyond the conventional styles about which the tech giant is famous. Apple has been able to surprise its users satisfactorily with their new-age customization features and fixes. However, it should be known here that the iOS 14 for the time being allows only the customization of a limited number of apps like the Calendar, Reminder, World Time, Health, Tides, and Astronomy. The customization of Weather and Photos comes with a premium subscription. However, users can always expect more surprises in the next update.